Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A New Bedtime Diversion

Lindsey has been in a math "class" at her preschool for most of this school year. They actually have them adding and subtracting now, and give us little worksheets with activities to do at home with her to incorporate math into every day routines.

Last night Lindsey and I were reading "Heidi" for the third time. It starts by introducing Heidi as a 5-year-old girl, meeting a goatherd named Peter, age 11. So I asked Lindsey, "So how many years are there between Heidi and Peter?" and she and I counted starting at 5 up to 11 and got 6 additional numbers, so the answer was 6.

Once she realized that she can figure out how to do this, she got very excited. She said, "Let's do another!" So we did addition instead of finishing reading the book.

As I was leaving her room, she said, "Mommy, I want a book to read by myself." So we started picking out a book for her to read from the collection on the floor by her bed. Then she said, "Oh wait! No, I have my fingers, I'm going to count instead! Good night!"

So I left her room to the sound of her reciting as she opened up her fingers one at a time -- "One...two...three..."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:43 PM

    Very glad to see the Blogger's Block didn't last too long 'cause I love reading this little stories, not too mention pictures when they are there.
    Only problem is they're growing up too darn fast. I don't have them set in my memory yet from 1 year, 2 years, etc.

    ReplyDelete