Thursday, December 03, 2009

An interesting twist

I started my new job today...it's been a while since I didn't know where to get coffee, how to login to my computer, how to make a phone call, or even where I sat. I met a lot of people and finally told one person that everyone needs to wear the same outfit tomorrow so I recognize everybody again.

Yesterday my new boss called me on my cell to confirm that I was starting today, the time I was coming in, etc, and to give me a piece of advance news before I started -- she has resigned. She will be working at Gillette until December 18th, then beginning at another healthcare foundation after the holidays in January.

What?

I thought that perhaps I'd have a few months to pick her brain, learn the ropes and get acquainted with processes, people, politics, etc, and instead I have two weeks.

Needless to say this puts more pressure on me to get up to speed and quickly. Like I don't put enough pressure on myself sometimes, now I won't have a go-to person who can help me figure out who to ask to get things done! And I really like her and was looking forward to working with her. Huge bummer.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the vagaries of stepping off the cliff hoping air will support us. You'll be all right. In fact, you will probably do a better job because you won't have a predetermined path and with you experience you'll probably forge more efficient links. You'll be fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you were at St Cloud (balancing 2 jobs and a full class load)telling you that you aren't Superwoman -- just do what you can and to heck with what you can't do. Your priorities and heart are in the right place. And have you had a day yet at your new job without snow!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support -- I can always count on my parents to bolster me up! :-)

    ReplyDelete