Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm sorry, you took up...what?

I know, it seems amazing, but I took up running.

I'm sorry, what was that?

Yes, running. From the girl who had knee problems in the fifth grade, who never ran EVER unless under duress (like when Miss Gretz in high school made us run a mile! A Mile! in high school. Ugh).

I started when my neighbor decided to train for a 5K in order to have a goal to get herself in shape. We have had barely a chance to train together, but I've been training on my own, over lunch hours, after the kids are in bed, and, like this evening, while traveling on business.

Tonight I had the privilege of running along Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. I started out around 6:15, got back around 7:10. It was beautiful running along the lakeshore, seeing the sun set over the city and listening to the lighthouse blow its horn to warn boats who all probably have GPS anyway of the danger of the rocks along the shoreline. The breeze along the lake was stiff and cool, very refreshing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the aloneness, the peace, the challenge of trying to keep up a pace I had set for myself. I didn't run the whole way, I walked for a part of it, but I made it all the way to the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum, which I was looking forward to seeing after having read the book "Devil in the White City." (I'll have to add that one to my recommended reading list.)

Chicago is a beautiful city, I need to get here more often.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, come to Chicago! I had much fun; Ned & I are talking about going in soon.

    ReplyDelete