Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Baby Bunnies


Can you see it? In the grass? A pair...no wait, two pair...no, THREE pairs of eyes?? (There's a fourth pair too, can you find them??)

A rabbit decided to have her babies in our front yard, and they have been a source of entertainment for Lindsey and I for several weeks. We first saw them when they were days old, no more than 2 inches long. They looked like tiny mice then, their ears little flaps stuck to their heads.

Every now and then we peak in under the mound of grass and fur that keeps their little burrow incredibly warm. They are now probably six inches long with definitive rabbit ears and a quiet alertness to them.

Yesterday evening I was coming back from a walk with Dax when we came upon the mother rabbit feeding her babies. She had to leave them as we were walking right past her on the sidewalk, so her little babies were left exposed, since she didn't have time to cover them up before we walked by. I immediately walked inside, grabbed my camera and took a photo for Lindsey, since she was already in bed. She ooh-ed and aah-ed when I showed her the photo of how big the bunnies were!

I believe there are actually five of them in there, at least I think I counted that many sets of eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment