Sunday, January 03, 2010

A Visit to my Workplace

This past week, while Wayne was off with the girls all week, he brought the girls to my new workplace for a visit.

This was a kind of a big deal, both to me and to them, because my kids have some wonderful memories and experiences at my former employer. PM always put on an incredible "Bring Your Child to Work Day" program, which both of my kids took part in from very early on. I've brought them in occasionally on weekends to pick up some work or do some printing, and they've always loved the long pretty halls, the white boards begging to be written on and all the little chatchkas in my office that they can play with.

I figured that the earlier they learned that my workplace has changed the better. Even though they both know I have a different job, until they see the new place, I am sure that PM would continue to be in their minds as to where I go to everyday.

December 31st is a good day for a kid visit, since it's usually a bit slower, not many people in the office, etc. They could see where I worked, meet my new co-workers and have lunch with me in the cafeteria at the hospital.

I met them in the lobby and brought them up to the 3rd floor. Our outside wall is lined with offices and Marissa asked to see my "new room." Well, that's one big change, no more office for mommy. So then they had to ask what a "cube" was, which they understood when they saw it.

First thing Lindsey saw was a draft of the latest newsletter sitting on my desk with a photo of a little boy in ICU, along with a photo of him today. We talked a while about what happened to him, that he was hit by a car when he was 7 years old and was in the hospital for many, many weeks before regaining consciousness and mobility. I told her how his family allowed us to tell his story in order to raise money so they can continue to help children like him...and there was another good lesson in looking both ways before crossing the street.

Then we put on our coats to walk over to the hospital for lunch. There were lots of questions about if that boy was at the hospital now, and Lindsey also wanted to know if Noah was there. Noah? Oh yeah, Noah is the little boy with cerebral palsy who is featured on the billboards around town, including one in our neighborhood. I think she wanted to meet Noah.

As I suspected, the cafeteria was a big hit, with lots of choices to be had, so lunch was a good time. They then came back to my office to meet my co-workers, who had all been at lunch when they arrived earlier. They got some Gillette branded slinkies from one person, some chocolate from another, and had lots of fun making artwork in my cube to decorate it, because the walls were clearly lacking in their minds. Lindsey made me a sign that said, "I love Gillette Hospital, it is so so so so so much fun."

Then it was time to go, and we said our good-byes.

When I got home that evening, Lindsey told me that she wanted to cry a little when she left, because she had been so excited about coming to see me at work and now the visit was over. She has the reaction to events that she considers to be big visits-- she's sad when we come home from Tracy, from Wisconsin, etc. I was surprised that a visit to my workplace counted among the visits worthy of being sad when they are done. But actually, I felt that way a little bit, too. I'm so proud of my kids and was looking forward to showing them off to my new co-workers, who are all so nice and appreciative of kids. (Caring for kids is kind of ingrained in everybody at Gillette, as you may expect.)

There will be many opportunities for my kids to come and visit. And maybe someday Lindsey can meet Noah.

No comments:

Post a Comment