Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Land Lines

In this digital age, I can't tell you how many places I've read that people should always have a corded phone in their house, in case there's an emergency and your power goes out. That way you're not reliant upon a cordless phone that needs power to run, you can still make a phone call on your corded phone. I even read this relatively recently, in the last six months or so.

I think that advice is officially now WAY out of date. For example:

If you use VOIP like Skype or Vonage for your phone service, if your power goes out so will your phone line, so don't bother.

If you use cable for your phone service, your cable modem will go out when the power goes out, so your corded phone won't work either.

And most overriding of all, if you own a cell phone, you don't need a corded phone.

If I'm in the kitchen and our phone rings, I walk past our corded one on the wall to the cordless one in the living room to answer the phone. I think it's officially time to replace that phone with a cordless one.

1 comment:

  1. The Wife and I decided almost a year ago to dump phone service and stick with just our cell phones. Can't say that we regret it a bit. Now if she would just remember to turn the ringer on her phone when she isn't at work.

    ReplyDelete