Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Conference Observations and Behavior

I am at a two-day conference in Washington DC with no co-workers with me. It's a bit odd, we so often travel in packs. But I've certainly met a lot of new people and had a fun time doing so.

In the process I thought I'd jot down some of the rules I've learned along the way when it comes to conferences and/or professional social gatherings, regardless of the profession.

When at a cocktail party, never hold your drink in your right hand. It makes your hand cold and you'll have to switch it over to shake people's hand with your now cold hand. Learn to drink with your left hand, even if it feels unnatural.

Don't carry food and drink at the same time, for the same purpose above. Grab a nibble when you're done with your drink, or if you are standing near a table where you can put your drink down while you have an appetizer.

If you want to say hello to someone you know and they are talking to someone else, don't wait for a break in the conversation -- it's awkward standing next to these people, obviously wanting to talk to one of them but trying at the same time to not eavesdrop. Simply touch their shoulder and smile as you move past so that it isn't awkward if they are unable to cut their conversation short. Or they may welcome you into the conversation, glad to have a respite from the blabbermouth holding them hostage.

If you are attending a session being given by a volunteer speaker, even if you think a presentation completely sucks, give the presenter your complete attention. It takes a lot of courage to get up to speak in front of people; at least let the person think they are doing well while they are up there. But then do him/her a favor and be honest on your speaker evaluation so s/he can improve.

If you absolutely cannot stand a presentation, quietly leave. It is less disruptive to the speaker and other attendees than sitting in the audience, looking in your lap and trying to discreetly thumb away at your Blackberry. And by the way, I can hear you texting.

Repeat people's names after you're introduced to them to seal the name in your mind. If you forget, it's okay to ask them again, but only once. (It will only get more awkward if you end up talking to that person several times throughout the evening never remember their name.) Or, sometimes as people are talking, I'll listen while at the same time repeating their name in my head a few times.

I go to conferences where I meet people only once or twice a year, if that. It's happened often that someone remembers me and I don't them. Therefore when I'm being introduced to someone that I am not sure if I should remember from a prior conference, I'll say, "Nice to see you!" instead of "Nice to meet you!" It implies that perhaps you've seen them before, but doesn't confirm nor deny that fact, in case you are indeed meeting them for the first time. I learned that one from an interview with Hillary Clinton.

Never. Ever. Ever drink too much. Ever. And don't talk about how you can't wait until it's the cocktail party, you'll sound like a lush.

Be polite to everyone, even people you meet who you think you may not have anything to do with in the future. You never know when you may meet your future client or employee. (Or boss!)

Remember that you are human. Conferences are filled with non-stop action -- from pre-conference workshops that start at 7:30 am to cocktail parties and dinners that last well into the night, you could fill a 16-hour day with activities. If you need to take a break for yourself to re-charge, do so. You will not be on your best game if you don't take the break you need. Your boss will thank you for it (as will you).

And apparently my idea of re-charging included a 20-minute run, followed by a quiet dinner (party of one, thank you), and a few moments to jot these ideas down.

Have a good evening!

1 comment:

  1. Very good advice. Much of it I have used over the years. I was blessed by being able drink with either hand, sometimes both. One tip I would add, wear your name tag on the right side of your lapel or chest, that way when you shake hands with someone they can more easily see your name without drawing attention to the fact they are trying to read your name tag.

    When I haven't seen people in quite a while I'm no longer embarrassed by not being able to remember their name. I'll usually introduce myself by saying my name first so they don't have to fight for recall, and I might not remember their name but I usually remember where I've met them so I'll tell them I recall meeting you at "such and such" an event, but I can't recall your name at the moment. Might as well be open about it, because I have gotten their name wrong sometimes and that can be doubly embarrassing.

    I agree with paying attention to a presentation even if it sucks. I've listened to some awful sucky ones in the past, but I learned years ago appreciate everyone, they all contribute information even if it is not useful. Everyone has an idea and should be allowed to express it.

    Cell phones, texting, and our portable communication devices have introduced a level of rude behavior I find intolerable. There is no phone call, no piece of information that is necessary when I am listening to someone speak that overrides allowing a phone, I-Pod, laptop or any other device to intrude on that presentation. Even in the days before mobile communication they would send someone into the room to call you out in the event of an emergency, but it had better be an emergency. People conduct business at their convenience now, even if it is late at night, but it does not give them them the right to expect to intrude on my time.

    ReplyDelete