Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Funny Reaction, not as in ha-ha

Last night Lindsey and I were playing outside, a really nice treat for both of us. She wanted to roll down the hill in front of our house, so she and I both took turns rolling down the hill.

The first time I did it I stood up and felt my skin start to itch. Then I remembered...I am allergic to grass. All grass. Every kind. I usually don't notice my allergies because I just take a Claritin every day from Spring through Fall. They are for the most part mild and don't bother me.

But I remember in 2005 when I finally had a skin test done for allergies, I was MOST allergic to grasses -- where they had injected the grass essence under my skin I had puffed up and gotten a red hive about the circumference of a baseball.

So that was the end of rolling down the grass. Within minutes my entire arms and legs had broken out in little tiny red welts, where the blades of grass had left their miniscule little cuts. I couldn't believe how quickly I reacted.

It was about bedtime anyway so we went inside and got the kids ready for bed, took a Benadryl and went to bed myself. I woke up all better, and a shower helped get rid of the last little itchy spots.

I feel sorry for people who have really strong allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment