Friday, July 17, 2009

An evening stroll

This evening as I was driving home from work I encountered a man walking his dog along the side of the road. This is unusual in our neighborhood, as our neighborhood is lined with sidewalks which are infinitely safer for both pedestrians and canines. But this man was on the road with his faithful dog beside him, head down and hands in front of him.

I assumed he was texting on a phone, something that I had dabbled in doing both while driving and walking. In both cases I found it very difficult to concentrate on where you are going (yes, even on foot). Just last week a 15-year-old in NYC fell into an open sewer cover where some men were doing work, because she was texting while walking and didn't pay attention where she was going. She was covered practically head to toe in raw sewage, and her parents are thinking of suing the city for "psychological trauma," so right now my tolerance for texting and doing anything is at an all time low.

As I passed this guy I saw that he was fiddling with a Rubik's cube while walking.

So here I assumed he was texting by his posture, and he was fiddling with a conundrum invented in the 1980s. I'm not sure if it was any safer, but it was amusing to me.

1 comment:

  1. I used to walk and read all the time, but after a few good thumps into various objects, I decided that wasn't such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete