Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When Did You Last Walk in the Rain?

Have I mentioned how much I love my city?

Tonight I had plans to meet friends at a nearby restaurant for some after-bedtime drinks and conversation. It was only three blocks from our house, and, despite the rain, I decided to talk. I donned my raincoat and my umbrella and set out.

I am still breathing deeply from the smells I took in during that walk.. The air had a damp, worms-on-the-sidewalk kind of smell, but with an autumnal hint of the changing seasons. The air was warm so it was comfortable walking, and I was protected from the elements. The sound of the rain was peaceful; even the woosh of tires of the cars going by me had a calming effect. I think I enjoyed the walk there and back as much as I enjoyed the social outing.

When was the last time you walked in the rain?

I need to do this more often.

1 comment:

  1. Your description certainly brought back memories. I know that smell of a warm wet sidewalk. I like the sound of car tires on wet pavement. Here I smell damp woods, and am enveloped by a velvet atmosphere. A nice article, sounded so peaceful. Way to go kiddo!

    ReplyDelete