Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More Boring Pictures of my city AKA Why You Should Really Read This Post

I know, I posted pictures from my commute a week ago, but now that I've finally relinquished myself to my commute, I thoroughly enjoy it. I do. I listen to my favorite radio talk show in the morning on the way in, and listen to my iTouch music choices on the way home at night. It reminds me of my long, loong commutes I used to have from Mankato to and from the Twin Cities, when I used to get a whole hour and a half in the car all to myself. This was BC (before children), so I didn't understand how very precious an hour and a half of alone time was back then.

Now, I get it.



So I cherish my 30 minutes in the morning, I cherish my 45 minutes at night. I sing at the top of my lungs. I test out vibrato in my voice -- can I even DO vibrato? Do I sound like an opera singer or a pop singer? And how awesome is this that even though other drivers can see that I'm car-singing (don't care, by the way), at least they can't hear me. At least until summer, when I crank down the windows. And then, still, I'm pretty sure I still won't care.

I admire the scenery around me. I've been watching the progress on an old, three story, massive home that's been under construction just off of I-94. At first I thought it was under demolition -- they literally gutted it straight down to the skeleton of the house. Happily, I see that they are now re-roofing it, and busy working on the interior at the same time. Great, not a demolition but a re-construction. Happy happy, hope I get to see the interior when it's done.

I look at the sky, and the skylines, and the statues and the buildings in all their engineering intellect, and I am grateful. I am grateful I live in such a vibrant, fabulous city, and am grateful that I have the means by which to explore it, and the perspective with which to appreciate it. I am grateful that I fit into the city, and the city fits around me, and I couldn't be happier living where I live.

4 comments:

  1. I love pics of St. Paul. I need to explore it more...like actually go to the cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 5 photos are of St Paul -- even when I try I'm a Mpls girl through and through...still trying, though!

    And I've never toured the cathedral, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to read about your appreciation of your surroundings. I have always enjoyed every day here at our home, the way the sun hits the tops of the trees, the way the field and woods look, and the steady plodding coming of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Jenny. I love your take on it!

    ReplyDelete