Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Signs of Spring

It's actually snowing today, but previously to today, spring was definitely in the air.

Some of the signs of spring that we've noticed around our house:

1. In the morning we hear a host of birds chattering away -- hello, birdies!! So good to hear that you guys are back!
2. As I look out my office window, I see a wide swath of trees that have a greenish tinge to them. Hope that soon buds will be growing on those trees.
3. I can see the landscaping that was buried under our snow all winter, since the snow is now melted away.
4. Oh yeah...the dog poop has now been uncovered and sufficiently rained on to make a mushy mess.

The best part of the dog poop is that during the winter our dog poops along the edge of the patio, since he's a wimp and won't walk over the snow to get out to the yard to do his business. Throughout the winter, when Wayne snowblows the patio, the snowblower will accidentally pick up the dog poop and fling it out into the middle of the yard. So last weekend as I was picking it up, I had to pick up a line of poop in the middle of the yard, even though Dax hadn't been in our yard since November. It was all in the same area too, so now I know the approximate trajectory of the snowblower.

Last note, last weekend I went for a walk around Lake Harriet -- took me about an hour from our house and back. It was rather windy that day, and I started out with the wind in my face, warm and strong. As I came around the other side of the lake, the wind was coming OFF the lake, which was still covered in ice. It's amazing the difference that made in the temperature of the air! Now the wind (which was now at my back) was probably 10 degrees colder than it had been on the other side of the lake. It was amusing coming across many of the same people I'd seen on the path on the warm side when I crossed paths again on the colder side, with their jackets zipped and hoods up the second time I saw them.

No comments:

Post a Comment