Thursday, July 29, 2010

When Being Green Isn't Green

How green can your grass grow?

This isn't a philosophical question, it's a literal one. Truly, how green does a person's lawn need to be before you stop watering it, fertilizing it and so forth and say to yourself, "Yep, that looks green to me."

The reason I ask is because this morning I parked my car next to a beautifully manicured home near Lake Harriet for my morning skate around the lakes. It was 5:30 am. As I was sitting on the curb next to my car putting my gear on, a sudden burst of water from behind me let me know that the homeowner's sprinkler system had just went on. I hurriedly got up and closed the windows on the car, assuming that some of the sprinklers were going to water my car. They did.

Now, this is NOT the home I was in front of, but it is pretty darn close in terms of landscaping:



Looks pretty perfect to me! Keep in mind that just two nights ago we had quite a soaking, over an inch of rain fell to round out what's been a pretty wet July.

And you are paying to water this because...?

My beef is not with the money, though. Clearly the person who owns this house can afford to pay for gallons and gallons of water. But from a conservation standpoint, he shouldn't. I know, it's not possible to ship the abundancy of water from our country to others that are sorely lacking, or even get it from one area of our country to another that has a water deficit. We've got the water, just use it. But somehow that seems wrong.

This seems even more frivolous because I just can't imagine how more watering is going to benefit his lawn even further.

At the end of the day, how green is your grass?

No comments:

Post a Comment