Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Life's Lessons...Kind Of

Some time ago Lindsey and I were driving somewhere when we went past a cemetery. She usually has a question when we go by this cemetery near our house. This particular day the question was, "Why are some stones up and some down?"

The short answer is money and people's personal choices -- I can't remember exactly what I said.

She wanted to know if Daddy and I would be buried in a cemetery, when would we die, would we want a headstone that's on the ground or up, and if I had a wand what kind of power would I want that wand to have.

Truly -- those were her questions, in that order.

I told her that Daddy and I would like to be cremated, that we felt it wasn't right to take up all that space in the earth for our bodies when our spirits weren't there anymore, so we probably wouldn't have a headstone, and I would want a wand that could shoot lightning.

Flash forward several weeks.

Lindsey had many projects the last couple of weeks about Earth Day. She had to write an in-class essay about Earth Day, which looks like this:



I'm sure you can't read it, so I'll write what she wrote here:

The Earth

The Earth has to be clean as well as us. The tub and Earth and us too! If the Earth isn't clean we will die. If we die we will have to be buried. If we are buried it doesn't help Earth. You should be fired instead.

And by fired, of course, she means cremated.

I'm not sure what her teacher thought of this, but she put this little tiny sticker on the top that said "wow."

I think I've got some splainin' to do.

3 comments:

  1. What's to "splain?" Essentially it is an accurate statement. She is really thinking that grandchild of mine. I'm glad she has thoughtful parents who answer her questions. You only have 18 years to teach lessons that will last for 60 more. It good to get it right if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is right! I bet that one was shared in the teacher's lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in my cube next to you laughing out load!

    ReplyDelete