Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Whole Foods/Lunds Experience

I am usually a Rainbow/Cub Foods kind of gal -- lots of choices, low prices, and I actually prefer bagging my own groceries. At least I'll never put a jar of peanut butter on top of a loaf of bread.

Yesterday I had to run out to get a couple of quick items, and while the Lund's is closest to our house, with the Edina Art Fair closing down all the streets I decided to travel north instead to a Whole Foods on the outskirts of Uptown. I'd never been to a Whole Foods before and it made for an interesting experience. So I thought I'd do a little contrast/comparison, and we'll see who of the two (if either) wins the battle.

Parking
Lund's: My little Civic looks out of place compared to all the BMW's, Lexus' and Mercedes.
Whole Foods: My Civic looks out of place compared to all the Toyota Prius' and Smart Cars, but at least it's closer in size.

Dress Code:
Lund's: NEVER go to Lund's without make up. Ever. Wear real clothes; business suit preferred, heels no less than 2 inches.
Whole Foods: NEVER go to Whole Foods wearing make up. God forbid you have product in your hair too, or wear obviously dyed clothing. Only natural fibers allowed, hemp preferred.

Meat counter:
Lund's: Huh, who knew that you could purchase salmon right out of the sea, already marinated with a timer shoved into the flesh for easy grilling? No charring those babies! And look, aged, dry rubbed tenderloin for $33/lb.
Whole Foods: Organically farmed tenderloin only, also $33/lb. No salmon, they're overfished, don't you know?

Dairy selection:
Lund's: I can't find the regular milk for all of the Lund's branded regular milk for $3.99/gal.
Whole Foods: I can't find the regular milk for all the organic milk selections for $3.99/half gal.
(PS: I buy milk from Costco for $1.65/gal, for those of you who don't know how much milk costs)

Reading material at the check out:
Lund's: Food&Wine, Bon Appetit, and aahhh! People Weekly, eye candy while I wait.
Whole Foods: Cooking Light, Natural Home, Runner's World (Runner's World?? Seriously??)

Checking out:
Lund's: Please let me have purchased so little that they don't want to accompany me out to the car. Please please please...it's so uncomfortable having someone walk behind me rolling my two pathetic grocery bags and two gallons of milk.
Whole Foods: Oops, didn't bring my own bag, shame on me. I'm too embarrassed to tell them I actually need paper or plastic, so I'll just shove this stuff in my huge tote purse and pretend it's not too heavy.

Overall price:
Lund's: Three produce items cost $28.
Whole Foods: Two dairy products cost $28.

Yep, back to Rainbow/Cub for me.

3 comments:

  1. This is a riot -- I'm still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lololing too... You couldn't have nailed it any better. Didn't you grab a Jamba Juice on the way out??

    I'm going to go leaf through my "Runner's World" (circa 2001 - B.C.) and have a glass of regular-old milk now...

    Naw... make that a glass of red wine instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband12:51 PM

    Whole Foods has Runner's World magazine, that's awesome! Now I can pick up my flax seed, protein shakes and Runner's World magazine all in one convenient location.

    Thanks for the tip honey!!

    ReplyDelete