Monday, February 16, 2009

New Hobby for Lindsey

Lindsey has picked up a new "hobby," inspired by her Aunt Kristi.

When Kristi was visiting in January the girls had lots of fun checking out her online game, World of Warcraft. Kristi was sure to keep it clean, no killing, no blood with the girls around, though she did show how her character danced (ahem).

A week or so ago Lindsey and I were roaming the Disney site, looking for princess or fairy games. We came across http://www.pixiehollow.com/, a child's version of fantasy online gaming. So Lindsey and I created a fairy for her and figured out how the game works.

We've now got one logon with three fairies, one of which is mine and two of which are hers. She hasn't taken on any quests, but she's an expert sunflower and rose petal picker and has earned more badges than I for friendship, adventure and exploration.

I think we have a future WoW player...in about 15 years.

So here's a picture of how Marissa spends her Saturday morning...the same way I did as a kid, in front of the tv with a bowl of cereal (she's even using the same desk I had when I was a child).
And here's Lindsey's same Saturday morning.
Never fear, screen time is screen time; she knows she has to give up cartoons to play computer games and we limit her time. If anything, it's more interactive than watching tv.

1 comment:

  1. I like the connection with your childhood. I remember that desk, I think it was from your Grandma's school at VanMeer. I also like the approach you have with watching TV, kind of like your childhood huh?

    ReplyDelete