Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A Look Backwards

Yesterday I got a chance to give a pregnant co-worker a good belly rub. It was fun feeling where the baby was, feeling movement, wondering what parts are where. She joked that people who hadn't been pregnant would touch her belly very gently, while those of us who had been through the experience would have a firmer touch.

I told her the story of when I was pregnancy with Lindsey and went in for my 24-week appointment. The doctor told me that the baby was sunny side up about then (meaning head up/butt down) and that she'd check at my next appointment to make sure the baby had turned. If she hadn't turned by 30 weeks she could possibly be too big to turn, and I would be looking at a possible breach baby and/or C-section, which I wanted to avoid.

For the next four weeks I nervously rubbed my belly, feeling a large hard area at the top, which I took to be the baby's head. I worried that the baby wasn't turning, as that hard spot wasn't going away.

Four weeks later, I go in for my 28-week appointment, and am told that all is good, the baby's head is definitely down. So I had to ask.

"So what's this part up here on the top that's so hard? I thought for sure the baby hadn't turned yet."

She feels my belly and laughs. "I'm pretty sure that the baby's sit bones on her bottom."

"Whew!" I said, "Well, hopefully it'll be the only time in my child's life that I mistake her ass for her head."

Ba-dump bump.

True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment