Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Twilight" passes into daylight

I read an acquaintance's blog about a year ago in which she read the book "Twilight" in nearly a single setting, sitting up overnight to finish it because it was so compelling. I finally picked up the book a little before Christmas time, now that it's playing in movie theatres, because I had no intention of seeing the mediocre movie when I've heard wonderful things about the book.

In my career-oriented/family driven life, I had assumed that, unlike the woman writing previously, I would not get sucked in to the novel quite as deep and would be able to resist the urge to stay up reading it long after I needed to. After all, I have enough days when I drag myself to work feeling like a zombie, barely able to think because of poor sleep due to small children, much less a book. Why would I ever stay up for a book, mind you, when I had precious sleep to get?

Yeah, right.

Let's just say that I finished the book at 7:15 am this morning, when my kids were getting up for the day. I napped first thing while they watched "Tinkerbell", with the littlest one alternately jumping on me and laying on me. I didn't care, I really didn't wake up until the closing credits.

The book was that good.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. I know with little one's one may feel pang's of guilt about doing something so absurd as enjoying oneself to an excess. But you deserve it from time to time. This is the first time I've heard of you doing something so outrageous in years. Way to go kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! Saw your blog link on facebook. Your posts are great!
    You may have convinced me to read Twilight. I've been fighting the urge just because of all of the hype...but if it is a quick read that will keep my attention that's what I need. Not sure what I was thinking to pick up Dickens while I have a 3 month old. A little difficult to pick up and put down multiple times a day.

    ReplyDelete