Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sisterhood

Today I was reading in a magazine something about siblings similar to what I've read before -- that your sibling relationships are the longest relationships most of us have in our lives. The author of this article talked about how she and her sister didn't get along as kids at all, only to finally learn to appreciate each other as adults. She lost her sister at the age of 31 to a rare disease, and wishes today that she had cherished more of their adults moments together. I was thinking of this as I get ready for a weekend in Chicago to celebrate my sister's 40th birthday, and thankful to have her still in my life.

I went downstairs to check in on the "other" sisters in my life. They were both sitting on opposite ends of the couch watching TV, absorbed and at least not annoying each other. I got on the computer for a little bit and overheard the TV program, in which one of the characters got scared and his friends were trying to re-assure him.

Suddenly I heard all kinds of shuffling and moving around. I peeked in to find the two girls sitting next to each other on the couch with the dog lying between them. They had blankets over their laps and up to their chins, taking comfort in proximity to each other.

Now that's one meaning of sisterhood.

2 comments:

  1. Waaaaaaah! Sniff, sniff. Oops, face still red. Crap. Love you, sister dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:18 AM

    Jen,
    I still think you should put some of this stuff in those little inspirational gift books like you can buy at Hallmark and make some money off it. This one brought tears to my eyes, also -- and I don't even cry in card shops anymore like I used to.

    ReplyDelete