Sunday, November 02, 2008

Halloween Tradition

Just another note from Halloween that I got a kick out of.

When my sister and I were young, after we went trick or treating we used to go home and immediately dump out our buckets and assess the take. How many candy bars? Gum? Sweet tarts? And of course mom would come around and take the ones that we couldn't have, namely, the candy she liked. And what came from our own bucket was OURS -- not to be confused with our sister's, and our buckets stayed in our bedrooms from that time on, off limits to the other sister.

Then...there's Lindsey and Marissa.

They got home from trick or treating Friday night, dumped out their buckets to assess the goods. Okay, so far so good...but then things got weird. They wanted to play "trick or treat." So they could come up to Wayne who had a few candies left over from the evening in another bucket, and say "trick or treat!" He would give them a candy, and they would do the same to each other, swapping out candies between all three buckets. Eventually all the candies would end up in one bucket, then get dumped into the other ones and re-distributed among all the buckets.

Amazing. I've never seen this kind of behavior. Are these my children?

And guess what, as the mom, if I ask for ANY piece of candy, even ones they LOVE, they always say "yes." Wow, who's kids are these?

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, and how I hated trick-or-treating for you when you'd get sick at Halloween. Had to carry your damn bucket around, and people didn't believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:55 PM

    There are definitely my girls as I never even liked chocolate much until I married you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After year two, they REALLY didn't believe you had a "sick" sister at home! yeah, sure, they hadn't seen her yet... :-D

    ReplyDelete