Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Luggage Limits

I was telling my co-workers of the story of our travels back to the US from Mexico. Wayne and I had shared one large suitcase, and I had thought upon our return that we may run up against the 50 lb weight limit. Sure enough, we get to the airport in Cancun and it weighs 52.5 lbs. So we move out of the line, open up the suitcase and start to search for ways to make it lighter. Wayne holds out my toiletries bag and says, "I bet this weighs at least 2 and a half pounds, why don't you put this in your carry-on?" I immediately agree - yeah! It'll be easier than trying to sort through everything else, which all feels much lighter than my toiletries bag.

So we check the luggage and make it through security no problems. When it comes time to get ON the plane, however, that's the point at which they screen for the liquids. Oh, yeah. I forgot! The whole reason why my toiletries bag weighs 2.5 lbs is because it is filled with....liquids. New TSA regulations do not allow more than 3 oz of liquids on the plane, and by the way, they should have been declared back at security. (Apparently in Mexico they don't screen for it until you get to the gate, though.)

I watch in resignation as the security agent pulls out product after product: hair gel ($8), hair serum ($12), facial lotion ($14), pomade ($8), he tries to get rid of my prescription facial cream but I convince him it's a cream and not a liquid. And the kicker, my Proactiv solution, $45 worth.

I think his reasoning was not the total ounces that anything equaled, I think he was looking to see what he could potentially give to his wife for her to use, which is why my argument on the prescription cream was successful -- it was a prescription, did he really want to give it to his wife?

The following weekend I went to Target and Walgreen's to replace my product -- $90 total.

I tell this story to my co-workers, then one of them asks, "How much is the extra charge for the additional weight on the luggage?"

The answer? $75.

"So..." as she continues to follow the obvious logic all the way through now, "it would have been cheaper to pay the $75 for the additional luggage weight than for you to lose all your products."

Yes, yes, that is correct. And thank you for pointing it out! I travel HOW often?

And last point, thank GOODNESS most of my product can be replaced at Target and Walgreen's, and not at the Macy's cosmetic counter. Can you imagine??

Final point -- yes, it is amazing that my hair can yet be THIS frizzy and out of control with all that product in it. Anyone else with naturally curly hair have any favorites to help tame the curls?? I'm always up for new product trials!

No comments:

Post a Comment