Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trouble at Bedtime

As typical, Marissa continues to surprise us with her independence and unique ways of getting in trouble.

For instance...

One evening last week, we were winding up the bedtime routine: bath had been given, teeth brushed, final potty stop, and I was about to sit down with her to read books. Before crawling onto my lap she looks at me and says, "I want a drink of water."

I say, "Well go get one from the bathroom."

She says, "No, I want to get one from downstairs."

Whatever go for it kid, as long as I don't have to get up. So after waiting for her return for what is now clearly too long of a timeframe, I hustle downstairs to find her painting her nails with nail polish that earlier in the evening I had told her she couldn't use. She has painted the top 1/3 of each finger, skin and all, got the nail polish on the countertop and dripped some on the floor. Thus the reason why I told her she couldn't do it earlier.

Amazing that she used the opportunity to "get a drink of water" to go do a forbidden activity. I'll have to watch out for this one in her teen years.

Then...there's last night's activity, not discovered until this morning.

This morning she and I discovered a chunk of hair on the floor of our bedroom. Hmmm....I wondered, where did this come from?

"Oh!" Marissa said. "That's from where I cut my hair."

Huh?? When did you cut her hair??

AFTER we had put her to bed last night, she got up, went to the bathroom and got the small scissors that we store in the bathroom, went back to her room and clipped off a couple of sections of hair. Then, she decided to put the hair in the garbage and picked the garbage in our room for some unknown reason...but missed the garbage, thus leaving the evidence on the floor.

Then she went back to bed and hid the scissors under a blanket in her bed and slept with the scissors near her head all night. That actually had me more concerned than the cutting of her hair.

I can't quite see where she cut it, so she obviously cut so little off that it didn't make a difference.
Again, I find it amazing that she leaves her bed to go do these forbidden things. Like I said, we'll be locking the doors and windows at night when she's a teenager. And she's never getting the keys to the car.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Bonnie9:21 AM

    And she looks so sweet and innocent!

    ReplyDelete