Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Michigan Vacation Photos


You can see by the above photo why I kept calling Lake Superior an ocean, right? It was so unbelievably gorgeous, and I couldn't believe how still a lake that large could be. Yet even just an average wind sent up long rollers to the shore, crashing so loudly you had to yell to talk over it. What an incredible lake.
This photo of the sunset was taken at 10:30 at night, driving back to our cabin after a day out at Dana Lake with family. Yes, 10:30 pm. It's amazing the difference being just a little further north and on the western edge of the Eastern time zone can make to the length of your day.

As mentioned previously, it was a wonderful vacation, despite a shaky start with a rough ride north. We ran into some severe thunderstorms with, you guessed it, hail. Marissa hid her head under her blankie at one point because of the noise, and we had to pull over to the side of the road. It rained the whole first day, but after that we had beautiful weather.
We rented a cabin right on Lake Superior -- we could follow a little stone path out the back and came out of the woods at the beach. It was our own private beach practically, with nothing but cabins in the area and no one out.

We spent lots of time in Munising seeing family, my Grandma Dolaskie, widowed now for two years, and my Aunt Carol and Uncle Chap, Uncle Tom and Aunt Anne, a multitude of dear and wonderful cousins and, of course, my dad, sister and brother-in-law.
I'll share other little stories here and there as I think of them. Thanks to everyone for their hospitality and for helping us have such a fun Fourth of July!

2 comments:

  1. You can see from your first picture why I hold Lake Superior in such regard. I grew up walking its shores, swimming in its waters and catching its fish. I have always marveled at the ever changing character of the lake and it is as much a part of my life as anything.

    I am glad Marissa and Lindsey got to spent time along Lake Superior's shores. I hope in years to come they get to spend more time and will come to appreciate the natural treasure it truly is.

    It was wonderful being up north with you, Wayne and the kids. I am grateful to have shared that time with you.

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I like about the first photo is the blurry edges of the water. A complete accident as I was literally taking this photo out the van as we drove 60 mph on the road, but it's a beautiful effect. Wish I'd planned it!

    I think I'm going to blow this one up and put it in my office somewhere.

    ReplyDelete