Sunday, December 16, 2007

My Mother's Words

It happens to everyone at some point; finally you find yourself saying things your mother said when you were growing up.

It all came together for me this morning, when everyone was done with breakfast and left the breakfast table. Every dish was left on the table -- every one. Granted, Marissa's only two, but the example set by her daddy was, "Just leave the table, Mommy will clean it all up."

"Okay!" I called out in my authoritative mom voice, "Everyone come back to the table, pick up your dishes and put them in the kitchen. I am not your maid!"

Good heavens, the "I am not your maid" line, I can't believe I just uttered it. It did get the desired results, though -- everyone got up, picked up their dishes and put them in the kitchen.

Even Marissa.

3 comments:

  1. The son and I have a similar conversation (as well as you can with a 2 year old) during breakfast and lunch.
    "Dadda, I done"
    "OK, throw it in the trash"
    "No! You do!"
    "If you don't throw it away you can't have any fruit"
    "Oootay"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't remember Mom saying that. I think she just left my dishes to grow mold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she did, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete