Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Lindsey-isms

Lindsey did two things this evening that really struck me that I thought I would share.

Thing #1:

Tonight Lindsey and I were "dancing" to a children's CD. It has funny songs on it like "Lonely Peas," "The Crabby Song" and others that are actually quite fun and not grating to parents.

We started out dancing by holding hands and going around, pretty soon I was carrying her around and dancing backwards and forwards, practically spinning her around as I went about the room. (It was a GREAT workout, highly recommended!)

She was giggling and hanging on to me as we twirled around, faster and faster. She laughed once and said, "Mommy, I am happy!"

She stated it so matter of factly it took me by surprise. My response of course, was, "I am happy too!" and gave her a big hug and an extra fast twirl.

Thing #2:

After her bath, I was attempting to blowdry and comb out Lindsey's hair as she was "playing" with our four toothbrushes. (You have no idea how frequently we change our toothbrushes around here!) She was holding all four in her two hands, lifting them up and down and pretending to "wash" the mirror with them. She was saying in a sing-song voice, "Let's wash Ava's red dress! It'll be fun! Let's wash Ava's dress! Okay! You take this brush, I take that brush, let's wash Ava's dress!"

What struck me about this is that she was looking herself directly in the eye as she was singing this, smiling and waving the toothbrushes around.

When's the last time you looked yourself in the eye in the mirror and said something? Sang something? Wished for something??

I did not too long ago, prepping for a presentation I had to give in front of a crowd of 160. I'm glad I walked through my presentation this way too, because wow, was it uncomfortable, and I found myself floundering in talking to myself and was able to smooth out the rough spots by the time I got to the actual presentation.

When do we lose touch with ourselves so much that we don't look ourselves in the eye? The closest I get is when I inspect my eye makeup before leaving in the morning, or to get an eyelash out of my eye.

Try it sometime, see how honest it feels, to say something to yourself while looking yourself in the eye in the mirror. It was really amazing how natural it was to Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment