Saturday, March 24, 2007

New York Economics

Last post of the evening. I was in New York this past week for work. Spent one day in "The City" (everyone on the East coast knows that "The City" refers to New York City, I get a big kick out of it), then spent the next day traveling to and visiting March of Dimes in White Plains, NY.

Apparently spring break has the same effect on NYC as it does in southern climates, high demand of hotels lead to decreasing supply and thus higher rates. I still do not know who on earth would go to NYC on spring break and not go south, but whatever. So the best hotel rate I could get was $320 a night, for a hotel we usually get for $249 or so. The hotel closest to my company's office was running $400 -- ouch!

So I opted for one in mid-town, $320 a night. I had to be a big hick and take a picture of the room -- you can fit the entire room on one photo, it was so small. I thought you all might enjoy seeing what $320/night can buy you in NYC.



1 comment:

  1. My sense of economics is probably skewed by age. I find it hard to justify $320 a night on a business trip. I realize the firm is paying for it so there are no out of pocket expenses. I would want to see some value return on having to shell out that kind of cash for an overnight.

    However, on a personal basis I could justify the rate. After all, I have never been to "the city." I have always heard about it, but never seen it. It sounds like the hotel you stayed at is located downtown, so a person could walk out and look over the area and get a sense of the place. In my mind I can rationalize $320 for a personal visit because I can spread the cost over the entire day. In a business sense the cost is spread over just the time doing business. I guess the per hour charge is less in my mind for personal vs. business. Strange economics huh?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete