Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Jenny's Review of On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Two guys hitchhike from New York to San Franscisco.

They are broke and don't get work. They spend every dollar they can scrounge on drugs, booze and women.

They get tired of being broke in San Fran and hitchhike back to New York.

They are broke and don't get work. They spend every dollar they can scrounge on drugs, booze and women.

They hitchhike across the US, until near the end of the book they decide to hitchhike to Mexico, where they are broke, scrounge some money which they spend on drugs, booze and women, only in Mexico it's a lot cheaper.

The end.

And this is a classic??

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE On the Road! I think there are some books you have to be at the right time of life to read. I read it during college in my Transcendentalists of the 1870s and the Beat Generation of the 1950's-1960's class. It was the perfect time for that kind of angst.
    Right now I'm reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which I probably would have loved 10 years ago. Now I keep thinking "Would you stop complaining?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with SF, some books are more pertinent at different times of your life.

    ReplyDelete