Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Am Always Amazed



It seems inexplicable to me that my children are as old as they are.  And nothing brings this to light like getting together with family who have little ones of their own.


It seems like it wasn't too long ago that this was our family photo out at the farm, with a toddler ooo'ing and aah'ing at everything, discovering the world for the first time.

What's even more amazing is that the dad in this picture is Travis, Wayne's nephew, who was our ring bearer in our wedding oh so many years ago.

He was six or seven at the time, about Marissa's age.

I remember when my kids were babies people would always say "cherish these moments, some day you'll realize how quickly they fly by." I always hated that -- yes, I know I should cherish them, but between diaper changing, nursing, constant laundry and intermittent sleep, it was always difficult to say that I would look back and say "wasn't that wonderful?" Even now, I have to say that I don't long for those days.

No one says that anymore now that I have school-aged kids. But now I can enjoy more, and actually cherish my children.

And so I will treasure the times when my kids ask to be picked up, or when they crawl into our bed at 2 a.m., thinking there's a worm in their bed. (True story, happened just last night.) I will appreciate the fact that when I'm walking down the street with a child by my side, there's a good possibility that a warm little hand will slip into mine, just for reassurance. And I will remember the sounds of Marissa or Lindsey playing on their own, creating their own worlds with trains, or babies, or Barbies or what have you, before that sound is swallowed by the sullen silence of teenagers listening to their music or texting their friends.

These are the days I will cherish. And I am always amazed at how quickly they are going by.

No comments:

Post a Comment